Monday, May 21, 2018




Finished The Paris Wife by Paula McLaine a few nights ago. It is about Hemingway’s first wife Hadley, their romance, their life in Paris (and travelling in Europe together), their circle of friends and the ultimate demise of their marriage. It took me a while to sink into it…and to comprehend this woman Hadley with the lack of anything going on in her own life besides “Hem”.  But in the end I found myself rooting for her and appreciating her. She grew on me and so did the book. I have read and enjoyed Hemingway’s A Farewell to Arms, A Moveable Feast, The Garden of Eden, and some of his short stories. While I know The Paris Wife is a novel, it is fun to think about what might have been going on in Hemingway’s life as he wrote these famous stories…to get a glimpse into the backstories and imaginable impetus for his writing.  I am looking forward to re-reading A Moveable Feast (it is about this time they had together in Paris), and reading A Sun Also Rises (The Paris Wife details the time Hadley and Hemingway spent in Spain at the bull fights with their circle of friends…apparently the inspiration for Sun). Additionally, it still has me thinking about the dynamics of marriage and friendships…and the booze infused lifestyle of American writers in the early 20th century.  

No comments:

Post a Comment